Tuesday, September 13, 2011
So when people are hunched over their laptops, Ipads and smartphones, what are they really doing? Not reading online newspapers and magazines. A new report from Nielsen on the state of social media shows that more than ever, they’re focused on social networks and blogs. News and current events barely register:
Social networks and blogs 22.5%
Online games 9.8%
Instant messaging 3.3%
Software manufacturers 3.2%
Current events and news 2.6%
(All the rest, 35.1%, was labeled ‘Other,’ which includes sports, education, gambling, adult entertainment, etc.)
Other findings in the report:
• Nearly 40% access social media from mobile phones.
• The fastest growing demographic in using social media is the over-55 age group.
• We spend far more time on Facebook than any other website.
• Tumblr is coming on strong, nearly tripling its audience over the past year.
This report is a valuable snapshot, but the scene is changing fast. Check back.
- Potomac Communications Group